What are the Documents Required for Obtaining a Food Business License as well as its Renewal in India?
Thinking of opening a food joint but do not have any idea from where to start? Undoubtedly, your first step is to obtain a food license or NOC from the food department to fulfill your dream of having your own restaurant. The restaurant industry is growing at a faster pace in the recent time. People love to dine out at least once in a month. As per a survey conducted by IHDS (Indian Human Development Survey) 2011-12, about 27% of Indian households have been reported to eat out once in the 30 days, prior to the survey.
The obsession of photographing food and publishing it on Instagram or Facebook as a food blogger has also given rise to dine out fascination of people. So, people are spellbound towards the concept of dining out because of the changing lifestyle, taste, and preferences. Thus, a restaurant business is a lucrative idea especially when you have the creativity of presentation and taste that drives people crazy. But before indulging yourself in it, you should thoroughly investigate the prerequisites such as the required documents so as to avoid any type of legal complications.
Documents Required For Obtaining A Food Business License
Before setting up a restaurant, you need to obtain different licenses or NOCs issued from diverse regulatory bodies to comply with the norms. Whether you are applying for central or state license, you need to have the following documents as per the issued guidelines of FSSAI.
- For starting a new food business, you will need a duly completed Form-B application that is signed (in duplicate) by the proprietor/partner or the authorized signatory
- You need to provide a list of directors with their complete address and contact details
- You need to provide photo ID and address proof issued by the concerned Govt. authority (Optional)
- You need documents of blueprint or layout plan of the processing unit providing the details of the complete dimension of the allocated area used for operations activities
- You need to provide the name and list of equipment and machines along with their installed capacity (in case of manufacturing or processing units)
- You need to provide the list of food category to be manufactured (only for manufacturers)
- You need to submit Chemical & Bacteriological analysis reports of the water that is used as an ingredient in food, which should be certified through a Govt. recognized laboratory on food testing
- You need to provide the possession proof of the premises which includes rent agreement, sales deed, electricity bill, partnership deed, affidavit, memorandum, etc.
- You need certificate or plan of Food Safety Management System (if any)
- In the case of re-labelers, you need to show NOC from the manufacturer
- You need to show the NOCs obtained from the municipality or the local body and also from the State Pollution Control Board. These documents are not required if the unit is established within the notified industrial area for a particular food business (Optional)
- You need to submit the documents related to the source of milk or procurement plan for milk as well as milk products processing units. You need to include the details of the milk collection centers as well
- You need to provide the detailed documents of the source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants
- You need to submit pesticide residues report of water if you are a manufacturer of carbonated water, packaged drinking water, mineral water, etc., from a govt. recognized laboratory
- In the case of co-operatives, you need to provide a copy of the certificate obtained under the Co-operative Acts
- You need to provide an authority letter having the name and letter of the responsible person along with an alternative responsible person nominated by the manufacturer
Documents Required for Renewal or Transfer of a License in India
Every license has validity for a certain period and after that, you need to renew it. An FSSAI license has the validity from 1 to 5 years and the number of years depends on the term chosen by the food operator. As per the guidelines of FSSAI, you are required to apply for the renewal of the license within 30 days of the expiration of the previous one. If your license is about to expire, which you have acquired under previous laws or orders, or you want to transfer your license from previous food laws to new food safety act, then you have to provide following documents:
- You need to submit a duly completed and signed Form-B (in duplicate) by the proprietor, partner or the authorized signatory
- You need to provide annual audit report /certificate/FSMS plan/self-declaration regarding FSMS
- You need to submit Form IX, which provides information on the nomination of persons by a company along with board resolution
- You need to submit a declaration form in case of Delhi and Himachal Pradesh
- You need to provide an attached photo identity proof like driving license, Aadhar card, voter ID card, passport, etc
- You are required to provide the name, qualification and other details of the technical personnel, who are in charge of operation (Only for manufacturing or processing units)
For food business registration, you need food business license, food shop license, and food business permits to avoid any legal hurdles in future. As you have got the idea of the documents required for obtaining, renewing and transferring the food licenses by now, you can be well-prepared while applying for the same.
4 thoughts on "What are the Documents Required for Obtaining a Food Business License as well as its Renewal in India?"
Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mater. He consistently kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty confident he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!
It is difficult to locate well-informed individuals on this issue, but you seem like you understand what you’re talking about! Thanks.
You should participate in a contest for one of the finest websites on the internet. I am going to recommend this website!
Hello , I do believe this is a superb website.\\r\\nI stumbled upon it on Yahoo , I am going to come back once again.