Butyl rubber or isobutylene isoprene elastomer
- This rubber is resistant to water, steam, alkalis, and oxygenated solvents
- It has low gas permeation
- It is capable of providing both high-energy absorption (dampening)
- It has good hot tear strength
Nitrile and styrene butadiene rubber (SBR)
- This rubber is used with most oils, hydraulic fluids and alcohol.
- A variety of proprietary compounds are available for specific applications
- They are found in shoes, clothing, corsets, curtains, leather, and other fabrics. Grommets that are small in size are called eyelets and are used in clothes.
- Surge protectors, fax/modem lines, electrical wiring outlets and computer cables can be organized properly by using large oval and rectangular grommets.
- Grommets are also used on commercial tarp which is used to cover outdoor furniture, woodpiles or boats, cars etc.
- Cable management means managing large amounts of cabling under floors and this is done by using grommets.