Onboard Diagnostics II (OBD-II) is a standardized system that onboard computers in cars and trucks use for self-diagnostics and reporting. OBD-II systems use the same communication protocols, code designations, and connectors from one manufacturer to another. This allows a single OBD-II scanner to provide access to the data that these systems are capable of providing across all makes and models of vehicles produced since 1996.
Functions of OBD-II Scanner:
The functionality of an OBD-II scanner depends on whether it is a basic “code reader” or a more advanced “scan tool.” Basic code readers can only read and clear codes, while advanced scan tools can also view live and recorded data, provide extensive knowledge bases, provide access to bi-directional controls and tests, and other advanced functionality.
All OBD-II scan tools offer some basic functionality, which includes the ability to read and clear codes. These scanners can also offer the ability to check pending, or soft, codes that haven’t activated the check engine light yet, and provide access to a wealth of information. Data from virtually every sensor that provides an input to the onboard computer can be viewed via an OBD-II scanner, and some scanners can also set up custom lists of parameter IDs (PIDs). Some scanners also provide access to readiness monitors and other information.
Use of OBD- II Scanner:
OBD-II systems are standardized, and are relatively simple to use. Basic scan tools function by simply inserting a universal plug into the OBD-II diagnostic connector in a vehicle. Some advanced scan tools also include keys or modules that augment the universal connector in order to access or interact with OEM-specific information or controls.
The most popular and most sold BMW OBD -II Scanner is ICarsoft BMM V 2.0 Scanner ECU
iCarsoft BMM V2.0 is a Professional and powerful vehicle fault diagnosis tool developed by iCarsoft Technology Inc. With a 4.0” TFT LCD and unique diagnostic software, it features full ECU diagnosis of single vehicle brand and test modes mainly include: CANBUS, ISO9141, KWP2000, and J1850 etc. It enables technicians to accurately diagnose complex problems.
Features of iCarsoft BMM 2.0:
- iCarsoft BMM V2.0 can do it all-reads and clears trouble codes on most of the systems such as engine, transmission, ABS and airbag etc.
- Support OBDII/EOBD Ten Modes of Operation
- Read Live Data
- Full ECU Diagnosis
- Applies to the single Brand of most of the Models which equipped with OBDII-16 DLC
- Easy To Use With Silicone Keys
- Oil Light/Service Reset: Support service lamp reset.
- Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) system maintenance deactivates and reactivates the EPB system for replacement and initialization.
- Battery Management System (BMS), registers new battery to the BMS while battery replacement.
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration control system, requests the DPF regeneration process while DPF blockage and turn off the DPF indicator.
- Electronic Throttle Control system (ETC) relearns the throttle valve control value while clear or replace the throttle valve.
- SAS: Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) calibration, calibrates the steering wheel to straight ahead, or recalibrates SAS while steering part replacement.
- The Print Data function allows you printing out diagnostic data recorded by the scan tool or customized test reports.
- Battery test allows you getting the voltage of battery with OBD port by the scan tool when the engine starts.
- DTC Library to lookup when user is operating this tool.
- Upgrade Via PC.
- Multi-language: English, German, Dutch, Spanish, French.
Advantages of iCarsoft BMM 2.0:
- Diagnose Single Brand of most Models (OBDII-16DLC)
- Full System Diagnosis
- Support Oil Service Reset
- Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) system maintenance
- Battery Management System (BMS)
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Control System
- Electronic Throttle Control System (ETC)
- Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) Calibration
- Read&Clear DTC
- Read Live Date
- Support Battery Test
- Support Data Review and Print
- Full Speed Upgrade Via PC
- 4.0″ TFT LCD, 480*320 Pixels
- Support Multi-Language
- Operation Temperature : 0°C ~ 50°C
- Power Consumption : 1.8W(Typical)
- Display : 4.0″ TFT LCD, 480*320 Pixels
- Operating Voltage : 9 ~ 18V
- Dimension : 206*104.1*32.6 mm (L x W x H)
- Operating Current : 150mA@12V(Typical)
- Storage Temperature : -20°C ~ 70°C